
Morris-Jumel Mansion
Art galleryMorris-Jumel Mansion is Manhattan's oldest surviving house, built in 1765 for the Morris family on land that was part of the Lenape homeland; it served as a headquarters for General George Washington and later for British and Hessian forces during the American Revolution. Stephen and Eliza Jumel purchased the property in 1810 and renovated it in the Federal style; it became a house museum in 1904 under its final private owners, Ferdinand and Lillie Earle. Situated in Upper Manhattan's Sugar Hill neighborhood, within the Jumel Terrace Historic District, the mansion later drew Harlem Renaissance-era residents and is a designated New York City Individual and Interior Landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.








